Quick and Easy DIY Valentine Sachet February 11 2021
Happy Valentines Day!
Looking for a charming and easy last minute gift that can be made with your supplies at home? Learn how to make this simple embroidered sachet.
Nobody wants to run around looking for supplies during a pandemic nor should they! So... between your home, local craft or grocery store everything should be easily obtained.
Here is the list of supplies you will need:
- Fabric- 2 squares 6.5 x 6.5”
- I used white Kona cotton for the embroidery side and a pink cotton print for the back side, but you can also embroider your heart on a print fabric as well.
- Embroidery hoop - 6” or smaller
- Embroidery floss - any color you have on hand
- Embroidery needle
- Dried lavender, mint, rose, or other flowers of your choice
- I had Trader Joe’s lavender Dryer Bags on hand. You can find dried lavender available at many places from health food stores to bath and home goods suppliers. If you prefer the scent of mint or rose, a few tea bags placed in your square will work nicely!
- Print out our heart pattern (download pattern)
Cut 2 pieces of fabric measuring 6.5" x 6.5". Take your printed heart pattern and lay your fabric square on top of the pattern, trace lightly with your pencil.
You can also write a message or name in the heart to be embroidered. If your fabric is too opaque, tape the pattern and fabric onto a sunny window and trace.
Place your fabric in the hoop and embroider your heart.
I added a few french knots and lazy daisy stitch for the leaves. Check out my Embroidery Tutorials for other stitches to use.
Sew your sachet together. The lavender dryer bag I used was 4" x 4". I cut my square down to 5” x 5" and used a 1/2” seam allowance leaving a 2" opening at the top.
Slip your lavender or mint into the pocket. Using a blind stitch close the opening.
I added a simple blanket stitch around the edge of my sachet. For embroidery stitch instructions go to my Embroidery Tutorials.
Enjoy and Happy Valentine Day!